Saturday, February 26, 2011

5 Minute Breakfast - Real Food Style


This is my breakfast of choice (at least for now).  I'm usually in a rush to get out the door for work, so this is about the tastiest and quickest way I know of to pack in a bunch of nutrients before heading out the door.  Eggs can be one of the most deceiving items and you should not rely on the organic, cage-free, and other labels.  Since we are eating beyond organic here be sure to find those "real" eggs.



Serves 1, Time = 5 mins

Ingredients:
1 Tbl grassfed butter
2 eggs from a pastured chicken
pinch of fresh ground pepper
pinch of sea salt
1/2 C fresh organic spinach
homemade sourdough toast
grassfed, raw feta cheese

Melt the butter in a pan.  Crack eggs into the pan and add salt and pepper.  I flip my eggs to make them over easy.  I layer my plate with the sourdough toast, then spinach, then egg, and top with feta.

If you are out shopping for the healthiest eggs be aware of the 'tricks' some of the organics are using to qualify for the USDA organic label.  Check out this good organic egg scorecard.  "Real" eggs have a significant amount of more nutritional value (such as omega 3s, vitamin D, and more) than those that come from cramped factory chickens confined in the dark.  A "real" egg will have a thicker shell, thicker white, and oranger color to the yolk. I get mine from a local egg farm, but am looking forward to raising chickens with my mother-in-law this spring.  My 22 month old should get a kick out of that too : )

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment