Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dude2 -- Dinner in 20 Minutes Flat (2/23/2011)


I had to work late today, so I ended up only having about 20 minutes to get something made for dinner. Time to improvise! On the drive home, cream of spinach soup sounded pretty good, so I went for it. I'm sure I have recipes in some of my cookbooks for this, but they are all currently packed so I had to wing it. I'd say it came out pretty good, but it could have been a bit thicker. If you try it, maybe cut down on the stock by about a cup, or add extra spinach.




Cream of Spinach Soup (serves about 6):
  1. 1.5 lb fresh organic spinach
  2. 1 qt homemade chicken stock
  3. 1/2 a medium yellow onion, chopped coarsely
  4. 1 cup raw grass fed heavy cream
  5. 3 slices of good quality local bacon
  6. Swiss cheese for garnish
  7. Salt and pepper
  8. Cayenne for garnish (optional)
Bring the stock to a boil, add the onion and spinach and cook for about 5 minutes or until the spinach is thoroughly wilted.


While this is happening, fry the bacon until it's quite crispy (you'll need to crumble it later).


Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the spinach mix, then add the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Grate some cheese and crumble some bacon over the tops of the bowls when you serve it, and sprinkle some cayenne powder on it if you like a little spice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment