Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sourdough Pitas On the Grill


* We linked this post at Simple Lives Thursday at GNOWFGLINS *

I still have no oven, and we needed to have some pitas to enjoy our gyros properly, so I thought I'd give grill baking a shot.  It worked out great!  Now I know how I'll be making some of my breads this summer when the heat gets too intense for indoor baking...



I use basically the same dough recipe as for the English muffins, so you can use that for a starting point.  Let the sponge ferment overnight, then make the final dough the next morning.  Leave it in the covered bowl for its first rise (about 6 hours)

Your dough should be nice and big:


Smoosh it down gently, give it a little kneading (one or two minutes, just to tighten it up), and make any last minute adjustments you might need.  This dough was a little wet, so I added a couple tablespoons of flour and kneaded them in when I did the above kneading step.  When you've got it where you want it, pull off a handful of dough, coat it lightly in dry flour, and roll it into a ball:


Pat, stretch, roll, or throw the dough until it's a circle of about 3/16" to 1/4" thickness.  Repeat this process until you run out of dough, placing the circles on a lightly floured cloth:


Cover the pitas with a wrung out damp cloth, then cover that cloth with dry towels or cloth:



An hour or two before you want to eat, light your grill and put the baking tiles on the grate:


After they've had about 20 minutes to get good and hot, bake your pitas on them in batches.  I was only able to get three at a time on here because I couldn't find my bread peel, but four would have fit.  I used a rimless cookie sheet as a substitute for the missing peel:


Put the lid on and let them bake for 5-10 minutes, depending on the temperature of your grill.  On mine it took about 5.  You can monitor the progress occasionally by lifting the edge of the lid just a hair and peeking in.  When they have puffed, they need about 30 seconds more cooking.  However, it's hard go gauge this without a window, so just make your best guess and it'll work out fine.  When they're fully puffed and baked, take them off:


Put them immediately into a paper sack to cool.  If they cool in the open air they will become dry and won't be very good (they won't bend around pita filling for one thing...):


After at least 10 minutes of this, they're ready to eat.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I was impressed with the wonderful flavor and texture of the pitas. Erik you make gourmet cooking look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Where did you get your tiles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @homespunhope: Thanks! As far as a tile source, I had to get the people at Lowe's to order me a box. Any store that stocks tile flooring should be able to order you some. The tile to get is called "unglazed quarry tile" -- make sure you get tiles without any glazing on them, because most of the glazes have lead and other bad stuff in them. I think it was around $15 for a box of 30 tiles. It's been a few years, so my numbers are a little foggy, but that's in the ballpark at least.

    ReplyDelete